Forensic Fire Investigation
The causes, effects and consequences of fire are of great importance to fire authorities, building owners, insurers, businesses and safety professionals alike. Detailed, independent and expert investigation of fires is vital if the correct causes of fire are to be identified and potential improvements in fire safety identified. In addition to analysing the fire scene and items involved in the fire the burning behaviour of materials and fire spread need to be analysed in order to fully determine how a fire has developed. Bureau Veritas operate a team of dedicated and experienced professionals who have experience gained over 40 years of fire and safety consultancy.
Key Services for Forensic Fire Investigation
- Investigation of fire scenes to establish the point of origin and cause of the fire
- Detailed laboratory analysis of samples removed from fire scenes to identify faults and likely sources of ignition.
- Determining the burning behaviour of materials and how they may have contributed to fire development and spread.
- Measurement of material performance in standard and bespoke fire tests including assessment and interpretation of results and comparison with the relevant performance standards.
- Small-scale simulation and reconstruction of fire scenarios.
- Non-destructive x-ray analysis of fire damaged samples both in the laboratory and on scene.
- Expert witness relating to fire investigations (including deliberate and fatal fires) in support of legal actions, litigation and inquests.
- Specialist investigation of fires occurring in the renewable energy industry including analysis of fires occurring in wind turbine generators and solar generation systems.
Why choose Bureau Veritas for Forensic Fire Investigation?
The Fire Science and Chemical Management team at Bureau Veritas provide an expert testing and advisory service for the meticulous examination of fire scenes and samples removed from them for further analysis. Our team have carried out many hundreds of fire scene investigations alongside investigators from the fire and rescue services and other agencies and have examined thousands of samples removed from fire scenes leading to the development of an extremely experienced team. Our team will carry out a full investigation starting with the scene investigation, selection and analysis of samples through to reporting and making recommendations for fire safety improvements.
Bureau Veritas maintains a purpose built forensic fire investigation laboratory to which samples can be sent for further examination. The BV laboratory provides a clean, well-equipped environment to make it possible to accurately determine if an item was the cause of the fire or was merely damaged by an external fire. All of our services and investigations are compliant with the current regulations, codes of practice and professional guidelines and are performed by highly skilled, experienced forensic investigators.
Our Key Markets
- Governments & Public Organisations
Fire & Chemical Services Department
0845 600 1828
Send an e-mail