Fire Service Scientific Support
The use of chemicals in today’s society is widespread, with a huge variety of substances finding use in industry, teaching and in the home. As the demand for chemicals increases so too does the need to transport and store them in both large and small quantities. Inevitably there are accidents and materials are often released into areas where they can present a significant hazard to the public. It is therefore of the utmost importance that the fire service has access to qualified scientists who are able to provide guidance and support at chemical, radiation and asbestos-related incidents. For well over forty years we have assisted the fire services in the UK by advising on chemical hazards and when necessary attending incidents to help with the detection, identification and monitoring of any hazardous materials present using both our experience and a wide range of state of the art equipment.
Key Services for Fire Service Scientific Support
- Scientific advice and support to the emergency services both on site and remotely by telephone or e-mail depending on the specific requirements of the incident.
- Provision of support on a 24/7 basis 365 days a year (blue light response available to ensure attendance times are met). Our team are all trained in the use of specialist PPE such as CABA and GTS.
- Field identification and assessment of hazardous materials including sampling, spot testing and detailed chemical analysis.
- Interpretation and confirmation of results from on-site analysis and based on this assistance in determining a suitable remediation strategy.
- Environmental protection advice and support at incidents involving large quantities of a substance.
- Provision of specialist advice at incidents involving biological materials, explosives, asbestos and radioactive substances.
- Advice on decontamination of personnel and equipment as well as selection of PPE for personnel committed to an incident.
- On-site monitoring of hazardous atmospheres with a view to determining the level of risk.
- Liaison between emergency services and other interested parties including local authorities, the environment agency, site experts and many others.
Why choose Bureau Veritas for Fire Science Scientific Support?
The Fire science team provide a 24/7 emergency response service to the fire and rescue services in the UK as well as local authorities and industrial partners. Our emergency response team consists of experience chemists who have worked alongside the emergency services for many years to resolve hundreds of incidents involving hazardous substances ranging from small domestic spillages to major industrial accidents.
Our Key Market
- Governments and Public Organisations
- Over twenty fire and rescue services in the United Kingdom