Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS)
ESOS is an energy assessment scheme that is mandatry for organisations in the UK that meet the specific qualification criteria. The first assessment was due on 5th December 2015, followed by 5th December 2019 and every 4 years, qualifying organisations must either conduct an ESOS assessment, be certified ISO 50001 or display a DEC – Display Energy Certificate.
ESOS Qualification Criteria
ESOS applies to large undertakings and their corporate groups:
- Organisations employing a minimum of 250 people
- Annual turnover of in excess of more than £38,937,777 million (€50 million)
- Annual balance sheet total in excess of £33,486,489 million (€43 million).
Exemptions to ESOS Audit
- Public sector organisations
- Companies certified ISO 50001 Energy Management System.
Benefits of an ESOS Audit
- Potential savings identified from an ESOS assessment is expected at 13.5 times the cost of the audit (Source: Dept of Energy and Climate Change)
- An ESOS audit will deliver cost-effective opportunities to reduce your energy consumption, therefore saving you money and allowing to demonstrate your commitment to energy saving and the environment to your stakeholders.
Bureau Veritas has already completed a number of audits with significant short-term savings that cover the cost of the audit within a year:
Potential savings identified with a 1-year payback 25% (or £15k)
And savings with a 1-year payback 2%
And savings with a 2-year payback 12%
Case Study – Food Processing Industry
We are here to support you to confirm what is expected of you and how you can safeguard compliance.
Failure to notify, Reg 43*
- A fixed penalty of up to £5,000
Failure to undertake an energy audit, Reg 45
- A fixed penalty of up to £50,000 with an additional £500 for each working day until the breach is remedied for a max of 80 days
False or misleading information, Reg 47
- A fixed penalty of up to £50,000
*Reg 43 is the most crucial next step as following a recent announcement by the Environment Agency; some companies have interpreted the news as a deadline extension of almost two months.
Bureau Veritas Options
The expert team at Bureau Veritas can support you to identify which energy efficiency route will be the most beneficial for your business, our options include:
- ESOS Gap Analysis
- ESOS Audits
- ISO 50001:2001 Energy Management Systems
- Display Energy Certificate
- Combination of the above
Find out more
Simply click here to complete a form and a member of the Bureau Veritas expert team will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
Click here to view the ESOS detailed guidance from Environment Agency and Deparment of Energy & Climate Change.
0845 600 1828Send an e-mail